Thursday, August 31, 2017

"Oh, I'm sorry."

Most adoptees have heard the phrase, "Oh, I'm sorry" at one point or another. I heard it a lot more as a child than I have as an adult. I'm not sure if that's because people are more cautious of what they say to one another now or if it's because so many more people are affected by adoption. My knee-jerk reaction to that has always been, "I'm not." I'm not sorry that I was adopted. I'm not sorry that I grew up where I did. I'm not sorry for the parents who raised me. I'm not sorry for my adopted siblings. I don't regret those things, nor would I change them.

Maybe when people hear the word adoption they picture an infant abandoned outside of a hospital. Maybe people associate adoption with a child who had bounced around from home to home in foster care. Those may be the stories of some adoptees, but those aren't my story.

Read FULL BLOG POST: https://adoption.com/blogs/5913/oh-im-sorry/

No comments:

Post a Comment