Sunday, June 11, 2017

What You Need To Know About Using a Search Angel

A time may arise during your search for family that has you ponder the need for help. It certainly did for me. I had taken an Ancestry DNA test and was unsure of how to use those results to find my biological family. When I submitted the test, I joined the Facebook groups DNA Newbie and DNA Detectives, so I could educate myself through other people’s posts while I waited.During that five weeks I learned enough about DNA connections to be happy when my results came in.
I knew what a search angel was, but I didn’t know where to find one. I didn’t have a computer at home or an Ancestry membership, but I did have access to a library. I decided to make a Facebook post and see if anyone had suggestions on how to move forward. The next morning I woke up to a message that would change my life. It read in part, “I’d be happy to lend a hand if you’d like. If interested, let me know, and I can provide next steps. I have some time this weekend and can use my account to help build trees using your cousin matches.”
I sent her my non-identifying info from my adoption records, gave her access to my DNA profile, and she went to work. By that night, she had found my family.
It doesn’t always work that way. Sometimes the information isn’t found easily, other times it only takes an hour or two. In rare instances, your puzzle may be beyond what an angel can piece together. There are a few things you should know if you decide to let a search angel work on your case.

No comments:

Post a Comment